When you meet a pit bull and suddenly you are attacked by him, you have to stop it. However, if you are not an expert, you may not know how to stop it. Instead, you may scream and be afraid of it and just let the pit bull attack you. Here, you will know how to stop a pit bull attack.
Stopping a Pit Bull Attack
According to the Wired site, here are some tips to survive a pit bull attack.
- You have to stay where you are. If you think that there is a dog that will attack you, make sure that you do not run. If you run, he will chase you. For your information, predators are designed to chase if their prey drive is triggered.
- Make sure that you protect larger arteries and veins. Let’s say that you have something to hand such as an umbrella. So, you are able to extend it to give the dog something to attack. You can try to stop the bite from going near your legs, neck and face.
- You have to make sure that you do not try to pull your arm out. When you find that a pit bull attacks, it can cause damage to his prey with the things called “bite, hold and shake”. You are able to try forcing your hand down into its throat to make it choke.
- Don’t panic. If the pit bull has got its teeth into your arm, it will not let go. The thing that you can do in this situation is to stay upright as long as possible. If you can, you are able to try to restrain the dog and you can do that by putting your free arm around its neck.
According to the Delaware Online site, here are the tips to survive a dog attack.
- Make sure that you can resist the desire to scream and run away.
- You have to make sure that you remain motionless, hands at your sides and also avoid eye contact with the dog.
- After the dog loses his interest in you, you can step back slowly until it is out of sight.
- If you see that the dog does attack, you can feed him your jacket, purse, bicycle or anything that you are able to put between yourself and the dog.
- If you fall or you are knocked to the ground, you can curl into a bowl shape and put your hands over your ears and stay motionless. Make sure that you do not try to scream or roll around.
Breaking a Dog Fight
Now, after you know what to do if you are attacked by a pit bull, it is also important for you to know how to break up a dog fight. Let’s say that you are walking your dog in the park and then you see that he fights with another dog. If you do not break it, it may be dangerous for both of the dogs. Here are the things that you can do for breaking a dog fight according to NYC Doggies.
- You have to use your voice and body language to get control of your dog. This thing can be done before a fight actually starts when the dogs are just posturing and showing signs of aggression. You can make a sudden noise to make a distraction. Then, you can advance to the dogs but not in between them and you have to act tough in voice and posture. You can give your dog a warning touch on his behind. If it is possible, you can do something unpleasant such as water on the dogs.
- If you find that the dogs have started to fight, you have to grab the aggressor by his tail and pull up and backwards. When grabbed by their tail, usually most dogs will release a bite grip. You can continue moving backwards and pull the dog by its tail so the dog is not able to turn around and bite you. Are you not the owner of the dog? If so, you are able to continue holding the dog by its tail until the dog calmed down or the owner arrived.
- If you find that the aggressor does not release the bite grip when he is pulled by his tail, you can grab his back legs and flip him on his back. When they are flipped like this on the back, usually dogs will release their bite grip. If you want to do this action, you have to make sure that you do it correctly so that the action will be safe and effective. When you grab one back leg with your opposite hand, position the other hand on his croup. Then, with an upwards sweeping motion, you can swiftly pull the leg of the dog from under him while pushing in his croup the other way. When the dog is on his back, the thing that you must do is to grab the other leg with your free hand so that you are firmly holding both of the legs of the dog. From this position, you are able to control the dog. So, he is not able to bite you. Now, you are able to continue to hold and maneuver the dog until he stops putting up a fight or the owner of the dog arrives. For your information, under normal situations, the back leg flip is scary and unpleasant for a dog. But, for your information, if dogs are fighting, they are in a different psychological state. It is because they are consumed by the adrenaline and aggression of the fight. In the situation where your dog is fighting, flipping does not make the dog traumatic. It is because this action serves to remove him physically and mentally from the fight.
When you try to break a dog fight, there are also several things that you do not do.
- Make sure that you do not panic and scream.
- Make sure that you do not try to separate fighting by putting yourself or your hand between them or by grabbing the collar.
- If there is only one dog which is the aggressor, make sure that you do not act on the dog being attacked.
- Make sure that you do not run and hide.
- Make sure that you do not focus on the other owner, just focus on safely resolving the fight between the dogs.
- If there is a dog which is holding a bite on your dog, make sure that you do not try to pull your dog from the mouth of the other dog.