There are a lot of statistics about pit bulls. Those statistics show different things about this dog. You may wonder about the statistics which were done by experts so that here we will give you the information about it from some sources.
Statistics About Pit Bulls From Dog Bite Law
In the Dog Bite Law, there are a number of statistics about pitbulls. And here are some of them.
- According to Breed Survey 2019: More Puppies Yet Fewer Homes for Pit Bulls, there are around 4.5 million pit bulls in the United States. It makes almost 5.8% of the canine population in the country.
- In the 10 years from 2009 to 2018, pit bulls killed and maimed 3,569 people in the USA and Canada. (Colleen Lynn, 2015 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities)
- In the 13-year period from 2005 to 2017, there were 283 Americans who were killed by pitbulls. (Colleen Lynn, 12-Year U.S Dog Bite Fatality Chart and Colleen Lynn, 2017 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities.
- In 2018, there were 28 American females who were killed by dogs and 19 of them were killed by pitbulls. (Phillips, Kenneth, Pit Bull Killings – 2018)
- In 2019, there were 26 American females who were killed by dogs and 16 of them were killed by pit bulls. (Phillips, Kenneth, Pit Bull Killings – 2019)
- Pit bulls are less than 6% of all dogs in the USA. Nevertheless, they are responsible for more than half of the fatal attacks on women and girls.
- As of 2021, there were 246 American children who have been killed by pit bulls.
- In 2017, there were 15 children who were killed by dogs and those are out of the 39 total human fatalities. Of the 15 youths, pit bulls killed 8 of them.
- In 2018, there were dogs which killed 15 children and at least 9 of those 15 are killed by pit bulls.
- In 2019, there were 16 children who were killed by dogs and 10 of them were killed by pit bulls.
- In 2017, there were 13,000 dogs, 5,000 cats and 20,000 horses and other farm animals who were killed by pit bulls. Because these dogs have destroyed more than 90% of other animals killed by dogs, pit bulls were the number one killer of the other people's pets, horses and farm animals.
- In 2019, pit bulls were noted for 91% of all reported fatal attacks on other animals, 91% of all fatal attacks on other dogs, 76% of all fatal dog attacks on cats and 82% of all fatal dog attacks on other pets, poultry and hoofed species.
- Since 2007, fatal and disfiguring attacks by pit bulls have risen 830%.
Pit Bull Bite Statistics From Ask Adam S Kutner
As explained on Ask Adam S Kutner site, according to Canine Journal which is an organization which collects and analyzes all of the dog bite attacks in the country, Pitbulls accounted for 284 deaths in those years. Of the overall dog related deaths, it is a staggering 65%, between 2005 and 2017 at 433 American killed.
Rottweiler is another dog which is known for its brutal reputation. Instead of talking that Pitbulls bite more, people can say that they are more efficient when they strike. Whereas a smaller dog who bite may not be fatal. You can see from the chart below about fatal dog attacks by breed (2005 to 2017).
Pitbulls Statistics from Pet Pedia
- Pitbulls and Rottweilers were responsible for 60% of human deaths by dogs in the USA from 1979 to 1998. According to Pet Pedia, this report was collected by the CDC, the Humane Society of the United States and the AVMA. It showed that Pit Bull type dogs were involved in a third of dog bite-related human deaths from 1981 – 1992. However, the CDC dog bite statistics show that there were 25 breeds of dogs which were involved in fatal attacks on humans during the 20 years. According to this report, deadly attacks comprised a small portion of dog-bite injuries. Therefore, the data presented in the study should not be used to identify a specific breed of dog as dangerous.
- In 2018, Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes are believed to have killed 33 Americans. According to statistics on Pit Bull attacks for the following year, there were 48 dog bite-related deaths in the US in 2019. Moreover, 69% of them are related to Pit Bulls.
Conclusion From Those Statistics
As you are able to see from the statistics that we gathered from some sources above, there are a number of attacks and even deaths which were caused by Pit Bulls. And even this type of dog became the most causes of the issues. What does it mean?
Well, actually pit bulls are aggressive dogs and they have violent nature. So, no wonder why they can cause deaths as mentioned above. However, if they are trained properly, it can decrease the possibility of attacks from this dog. So, it can mean that people may not train their pit bulls properly so that the pit bulls can attack and even kill other people or other animals.
From the statistics explained above, if you are not sure to have pitbulls, it is better for you not to have them. If you are not sure and you force yourself to have them, it will cause a fatal issue where your pit bulls may attack other people or other animals around them.
So, for having a pitbull, it is necessary that the owner must be strong because they have to control the pitbull well where there will be moments where they have to hold the grip of the dogs well. Also, the owner must give their pit bulls right training. When there are a lot of people at your house, you have to make sure that you chain your pitbull up so that your pit bull will not bite those people.
If you are not strong enough for controlling this dog and you are not sure that you can train them properly, it is better for you not to have them to avoid attacking and killing others.