You may wonder whether pit bulls can make great family pets or not. Usually, this question comes if someone wants to have a pit bull at home and they know that they have other people at home such as wife or husband, children and other family members.
Pit Bulls Can Make Great Family Pets
According to the Quivira Road Animal Clinic site and the Animal Foundation site, Pit Bulls make great family pets. In the Animal Foundation site, it is explained that same as all dogs, pit bull terriers are individuals who are just as likely to be safe and gentle as any other dog. For your information, there is no breed or type of domesticated dog which is dangerous or aggressive inherently.
According to the Quivira Road Animal Clinic site, the reason why Pit bulls are great family pets is because they really love humans. So, they make a great choice for families. It is also explained on that site that not long ago, there were some places which used pit bulls as nannies because they were so good with kids. If there are children at your home, a pit bull will help teach your child how to be affectionate and will give your kid a great new friend.
5 Reasons of Pit Bulls Make Great Pets
There are a lot of people who assume that pit bulls are aggressive. They also assume that pit bulls are mean dogs. However, it could not be further from the truth because the fact is that any breed of dog’s attitude comes from their environment. Let’s say that you treat a pit bull well. So, the pit bull will be loyal. There are studies which have indicated that pit bulls have a lower temperament than other breeds of popular dogs such as beagles and chihuahuas.
According to the Quivira Road Animal Clinic site, here are 5 reasons why pit bulls can make great pets.
- Pit bulls can be great family pets. It is because they really like humans and they make a great choice for families. As explained earlier that not long ago, there were some places which used pit bulls as nannies because they were very good with kids. If there are children at your home, pit bull will be able to help teach your child how to be affectionate. They will also give your kid great new friends.
- Pit bulls are healthy dogs. Generally, from all the breeds of dogs, pit bulls are healthy pets. They do not have weight problems where there are a lot of pit bulls which will not go over the 50 pound mark. They are not as prone to diseases as some other dog breeds. They also have short coats which means that you do not need to groom them a lot.
- Pit bulls are dogs which like to please. There are a lot of people who assume that pit bulls are a dangerous breed. It is because they are associated with fighting and law enforcement. These dogs can make great dog cops because they are loyal to humans and it is not because they are aggressive. They like to please humans. Why do many pit bulls work with cops? The reason is because they are easy to train.
- Pit bulls are dogs which like snuggle time. There are a lot of dogs which see hugging as an aggressive sign of dominance. However, it is different for pit bulls. They love to be held by humans. These dogs are the most likely breed to curl up with you and they will like to snuggle up with you. Pit bulls are dogs which are affectionate and they also will like it when you show them affection.
- Pit bulls are dogs which like action. They are very athletic. So, they can make great companions and crave being walked often. You are able to make your pit bull your running friend.
Taking Care of Pit Bulls
After you know that pit bulls can make great family pets, now it’s time for you to know how to take care of this dog. According to the Prestige Animal Hospital website, here are routine care, diet and exercise for pit bulls.
- Pit bulls must be supervised as you would do to a toddler. You have to keep doors closed, pick up after yourself and block off rooms as necessary. By doing it, it will keep the dog out of trouble and away from objects he should not put in her mouth.
- Pit bulls need low grooming. You can brush his coat as needed at least once a week.
- Usually, American Pit bull terriers have good teeth. Your task is to keep them good by brushing them at least twice a week.
- Pit bulls’ ears must be cleaned once a week even when they are still a puppy.
- Pit bulls are smart dogs and they have a lot of energy. So, you need to keep their mind and body active. If not, they will be bored and then they start to have the naughty stuff.
- Pit bulls are easy to train. However, they need to be given obedience and socialization early to keep them from becoming overprotective and aggressive.
- You have to keep the diet of your dogs consistent and make sure that you do not give them human food.
- They need to be fed with a high quality diet which is suitable for their age.
- The dogs must be exercised regularly, but you have to make sure that you do not overdo it at first.
That’s several things that you need to know about taking care of pit bulls. It is important for you to note that pit bulls see cats and small animals as prey. So, if you have other animals at your house such as cats, birds and other animals, the pit bulls must be trained so that they will not attack the other animals at your house. They can also be aggressive to other animals, so you have to be careful when you introduce the pit bulls to other animals.